The retail industry is the world’s leading consumer industry in the world. It connects consumers and manufacturers and offers the products and services they need and looking for. Today, we’ll discuss supply chain management in retail industry; its importance, key elements, advantages, and disadvantages.
What is Supply Chain Management in Retail Industry?
As the name implies, SCM in the retail industry is the process of managing all the SC processes of retail companies. Retail SCM is different from industrial SCM because the retail sector requires the fast and speedy movement of products and goods.
However, companies should carefully evaluate and analyze the retail SCM and analyze that the products should be free from all forms of faults and mistakes, constantly moving, and the retail cycle time is very short. The continuous flow of goods and materials in the SC processes plays a significant role in the growth and success of retail companies.
- Some of the main SCM activities in the retail industry are as follows;
- Developing and implementing shipping strategies
- Employing logistics and freight technology
- Keeping a record of changes in the supply and demand
- Managing inventory
- Cost management
- Making reliable product delivery and speed
- Quality control
- Developing and maintaining relationships with partners
For instance, both grocery and fashion retailers have different SCM needs and requirements. But there are some common challenges that they both are facing like;
- Return and exchange – the cost of exchange and return would jeopardize the business
- Managing seasonal stocks – demand for certain products is different in the summer and winter
- Inventory management – maintaining a well-balanced stock inventory that isn’t too low or too high
Importance of Supply Chain Management in Retail Industry
Supply chain management in retail industry is highly significant for the growth of businesses and organizations. In fact, it is the lifeline for the growth of businesses and organizations. Successful retail SCM optimizes the logistic operations in the entire SC processes; ranging from raw material and finished goods to the customers. Well-managed SCM helps businesses and organizations to achieve the following;
- Better order-to-cash cycle
- Higher financial yield
- Better performance of vendor and supplier
- Low inventory stock requirements
- Limited operational cost
- High customer service excellence
- Allows companies to achieve their goals and objectives
- Better quality products
- Controlled manufacturing processes
- High transparency
- Assisting companies to diagnose the problem and find an appropriate solution for them
Elements of Supply Chain Management in Retail Industry
Some of the main elements of supply chain management in retail industry are as follows;
The focus of businesses and organizations is to manage the resources and look forward to the future; it allows them to meet the needs and wishes of customers. At this stage, you develop metrics and KPIs to manage the SC processes and it would help them to achieve the following;
- Delivering quality products and services to the customers
- Having control over the cost
Businesses find the supplier that would deliver them the required raw goods and supplies. The SC managers negotiate over the pricing, employ appropriate payment methods to complete the transaction, maintain transparency and visibility, and amplify the relationship with customers. However, they integrate various processes like receiving and verification of shipments and deliveries and then moving them to the production unit.
Companies should collaborate and coordinate with various suppliers to manage product shortages and raw supplies during the lifecycle. The SC managers have the obligation of performing the following functions;
- Scheduling activities for productions
- Packaging and packing
- Delivering the final product
- Analyzing the quality level
- Production output
- Evaluating the Productivity of the team members
Production & Transportation
Retail SCM allows companies to make sure and manufacture the right volume of products and goods. It is the most important element in the entire SC process. However, the storage of finished goods in the warehouse and delivery to the retailers and end consumers are the main activities that allow companies to streamline their production and manufacturing processes.
Unsatisfied customers would return the faulty or defective products, or ask for an exchange; this process goes by the name of reverse logistics. If you are dealing with damaged products, then SC managers should coordinate with the customer support service and gather information and feedback about the damaged product items. Customer satisfaction level would be higher if you have got an easy return policy.
Advantages of SCM in Retail Industry
Some of the main benefits and advantages of SCM in retail industry are as follows;
Efficiency SC processes help businesses and organizations to achieve cost efficiency throughout the organization. If you have streamlined various processes and employed the right communication channel; then it would decrease costs from staff, warehousing, and transportation.
Inventory management plays a significant role and it requires you to constantly analyze the stock level in the inventory. Well-managed inventory would make sure that you have got sufficient goods that would meet the demands of customers when you need them.
High productivity and efficiency
A good SC process would improve productivity and efficiency across the company. It allows them to improve customer satisfaction levels and achieve cost savings. However, when you improve the flow of communication among various departments, then it helps them to achieve their goals and objectives.
Disadvantages of SCM in Retail Industry
Some of the main challenges and disadvantages to the SCM in the retail industry are as follows;
- Keeping the inventory level low to cut down the warehouse, and meeting the demands of customers is very difficult
- The retail sector comprises a wide variety of SKUs (stock-keeping-units) and tracking all of them complicates things
- Retailers have to refund and return the goods and products efficiently and quickly, but it costs the company a lot
- High demand in the holiday season, but very low in the off-season
Conclusion: Supply Chain Management in Retail Industry
After an in-depth study of supply chain management in retail industry; we have realized that retail SCM is highly significant for businesses and organizations. If you are learning about the retail SCM, then you should keep in mind the abovementioned elements, advantages, and disadvantages.
Ahsan is an accomplished researcher and has a deep insight in worldly life affairs. He goes Live 3 days a week on various social media platforms. Other than research writing, he’s a very interesting person.